Monday, September 8, 2008

Getting Ducks, Putting in Row

There is a very long list of pre-cycle testing at my clinic. On top of all the regular tests and bloodwork, there is an "over-40" set of general tests. I have been ticking the boxes - pap smear, saline ultrasound, communicable disease panel. Now I have to have a chest x-ray, an EKG, a mammogram and more bloodwork. The trick is to figure out how to get these tests covered under some other lab code sice my insurance won't pay out for anything related to infertility treatments.

Today I finally got the results of the day 3 hormone test - the one I've been dreading. Anything under 10 qualifies for the package deal at my clinic, and since I have already been through two failed IVFs I really wanted the safety net of an extra cycle if I need it. Plus, as silly as it seems, the idea of being deemed too risky for the shared-risk group depresses me. It's a psychological boost as much as a financial one, really.

Anyway, I just squeaked in under 10 - 9.6. My last one was 6-ish, but that was a few years ago. Maybe it's just a technicality, but that .4 means a lot to me. I just feel a teesy bit less doomed - not exactly optimistic, but hovering around neutral. Which is, all things considered, not so bad.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Woohoo. 9.6. Not bad! It sounds like your elderly ovary might not be as elderly as you thought (of course, I don't have a PhD in IF, like some of the ladies around here-so don't take my word for it!)

MommaLove said...

Thanks for leaving a note on my site. Good luck with your IVF! Are you doing a long protocol or micro dose?

Lorraine said...

We have a complicated protocol for poor responders that involves lupron and ganerelix - it's a version of the antagonist protocol. I was supposed to do an antagonist cycle the last time - but the nurse "forgot" to put it on my calendar. Which is why I am at a new clinic...