Saturday, November 1, 2008

And Then There Were Three



For some reason I only have a photo of two of them. There was a certain amount of hemming and hawing about how many to transfer. It seemed obvious to me - the 7-cell had stopped growing yesterday, so we were left with three. The day-3 10-cells had become compacted blasts, one of them being a quite nice grade 2 and the other a slightly raggedy grade 3. The day-3 8-cell was still a morula (day-4 stage) but looked good enough to be graded a 2. So, the good blast was a shoo-in, but it was impossible to decide which of the others might have a better chance. I really didn't want a single frozen blast left for a FET, so we decided to go for all of them.

This really barely raises my chance of multiples - maybe by 1% - but it does increase the chance of pregnancy by 10%. Seems like a no-brainer, really. We had the requisite discussion about selective reduction, and apparently I gave the reasonable answer and that was that. Now, I know that stranger things have happened, etc. etc., but after everything we have gone through to even get to this point I just have to plan to cross all other bridges when (if) I come to them.

I have my lab request for two betas, 11/10 and 11/12. In the meantime, PIO at least until the first ultrasound (if, of course) and then maybe onto Claudia's secret sub-Q progesterone. Plus, I get to add an estradiol suppository starting tomorrow. Other than that, time will tell. It's going to be a long 2WW, even if it is only eleven days.

7 comments:

Shelby said...

Your 2 WW is mostly coinciding with mine (11/12 beta). I sincerely hope it goes as quickly as possible and that the end gives you what you've been dreaming!

Nikki said...

Good luck Lorraine! I have my fingers crossed for you, and I'm going to be praying for that BFP on 11/10 for you! 3 good embryos is great! And I agree, it doesn't make sense to freeze one.

Good luck!

Paula Keller said...

YAY! I remember sometime in March feeling like people were out of their mind to transfer more than two, but on our day of transfer I was all about it, and I would do it again. I like the odds. Perspectives change.

So are you on bedrest?

I wonder why some people get estrodial during the wait and others do not?

Sending you sticky vibes!!!

Midlife Mommy said...

They're beautiful. Good luck!!

Sky said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Lorraine! May you have one very healthy embryo there that'll become one terrific little bundle to bring home in 9 months!

Kami said...

Good luck!

Lost in Space said...

Everything crossed for you, Lorraine!! I transferred 3 on IVF#1 and 5 on IVF #2 and totally agree with you transferring them all (not that my opinion matters. LOL.)